An Interview with Lauren Jones
In celebration of International Women’s Day, we decided to interview a Lauren Jones, General Manager at Jones XL Pty Ltd and gain some insights into her work and becoming a leader in a male dominated industry.
Jones XL are proud sponsors of Camden Council's International Women's Day Gala 2023.
In celebration of International Women’s Day, we decided to interview Lauren Jones, General Manager at Jones XL Pty Ltd and gain some insights into her work and becoming a leader in a male dominated industry.
1. Can you please introduce yourself and your work experience?
My name is Lauren Jones and I am General Manager of Jones XL Pty Ltd. We specialise in supplying professional, fully qualified and licensed security guards for shopping centres, construction sites, events, campus, corporate security and concierge security services.
2. Have you undertaken any security-related education or training?
Plenty over the years, including my security licence, RSA WWC etc along with relevant business courses and qualifications.
3. What do you enjoy most about your role?
Variety is the spice of Life! Every day can be different. Although I manage the day to day running of the business, I also look after event security. Event security brings a specific set of challenges including the event venue, event requirements and the weather! I love liaising with our clients and making sure their event runs smoothly. The local events in Macarthur keep me nice and busy.
4. What differentiates you as a good leader?
Collaboration is the key. Before making a decision, I seek feedback and advice from the major stakeholders, evaluate my decisions and possible impact on others. I’m lucky, Jones XL key personal offer a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from and I make sure I have a complete understanding of what is required.
5. As a female leader, what has been the most significant barrier in your career?
Proving myself and that I can do the job. I know it’s crazy but I am also a qualified motorcycle mechanic. So I have always had to step up and prove I can do the job as well as the next. It can be tough at times working in male dominated industry, but I have done so, my whole working career.
6. How do you build trusting relationships with customers?
We offer excellent customer service. Meeting with Clients on a regular basis, asking for feedback, listening to their concerns or needs, help problem solve and being open and transparent in our communication.
7. What do you think are the most important qualities of a successful team?
Effective communication is absolutely essential for working together efficiently. Strong leadership, clear policies and procedures, achievable goals, solution-focused team, support and collaboration and meeting people face to face.
8. You are undoubtedly busy, how do you take care of yourself and maintain a good mental health?
Always making sure I have that next holiday booked! I love to travel
9. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
Have a thick skin because big business can be tough. Always stay on top of your work and manage your time.
10. What advice would you give to young women entering this profession/organization?
Educate yourself and build your skills. It has helped me immensely learning different skills over the years. I have had to work hard to get where I am. Being a family business my parents did not make it easy for myself or brother. We had to start from ground up and prove we are capable of running the business. Whether for your family or someone else, education is key.
11. What are the most important skills and qualities needed?
Being able to work in a team, being proactive and being respectful of peoples time.
12. What is the largest security event you have had to plan and manage?
Our team manages the Camden Show every year which is very large operation along with Christmas in Narellan. We have also managed security for the MTV Awards and International Women’s Day breakfast that was held in Eveleigh.
13. How do you respond in high-pressure situations?
I will take a breather for 15 minutes to reflect and do something else to clear my mind.
14. What do you like to do in your free time?
I’m a big kid who loves to build Lego and play video games. I am always redecorating my home as I love interior design